Terms of Reference (ToR) of BRICS Model E-Port Network
Annex I to the 7th Meeting of the BRICS Trade Ministers Statement
August 31, 2017
In 2015, the Strategy for BRICS Economic Partnership was approved by BRICS leaders, in which exchange of ideas and experiences on the development of a Single Window was highlighted. In 2016, the BRICS trade ministers endorsed the Framework for BRICS Single Window Cooperation. With the development of Information and Communication Technologies (the "ICT"), E-port emerges as particular form of an integrated electronic platform to process and monitor cross-border movement of merchandise and transportation vessels at a port level. This form of Single Window requires a closer co-operation among all relevant trade-related governmental authorities and agencies in relation to ports. In this context, as a step to implement the aforesaid documents and to realize and strengthen single window collaboration, one of the focus areas will be to develop a common understanding of Model E-port Network, promote cooperation and knowledge sharing network on E-ports among BRICS members becomes an avenue for exploring supply chain connectivity, information communication and technology sharing.
[back to top]
The objectives of BRICS Model E-Port Network is to explore a mechanism for improving supply chain connectivity and trade facilitation among BRICS members through the following means:
- Promoting further discussions among BRICS members with a view to building an understanding on the concept of the Model E-port Network including implications of the supply chain and trade facilitation in line with the objective of the BRICS countries and respective domestic legal frameworks of what E-port and Single Window are, how they could benefit BRICS supply chain and trade facilitation work, and how they could help BRICS countries accomplish their domestic objectives.
- Exploring the possibility and modalities of exchanging trade related information, while ensuring data security, and accuracy of the transmitted and processed information.
- Exchange information and identify possible areas for knowledge and capacity building in aspect of National Single Window best practice and E-ports modelling, development, operation and control.
- Strengthen cooperation in the field of ICT through the exchange of information on the introduction of advanced IT systems to enhance port management, logistics and trade facilitation.
- Exchange views and information on best practices for E-port and National Single Window Systems.
[back to top]
- Conduct expert level dialogue to exchange experience and share best practical solutions.
- Hold workshops and promote exchange of information on best practices and success cases in regard to specific issues which could include, among others, Single Window and Operational Center and explore the possibility of undertaking cooperative activities within the BRICS Model E-port Network in accordance with recommendation that might be agreed by the CGETI, if needed.
- Hold workshops targeted at specific issues on a regular basis.
- Explore possible capacity building activities and pilot projects based on dialogues and workshops.
- Strengthen collaboration with the BRICS Customs structures, such as the BRICS Customs Cooperation Committee and the Customs Working Group on related cooperation activities, including holding joint meetings. The cooperation activities under this Network will be conducted on a voluntary and consensus basis, recognising that the BRICS countries are at different stages of development as regards the implementation of electronic trade processing platforms such as National Single Windows or E-Ports.
[back to top]
The Overseeing Body
The CGETI, in close collaboration with the BRICS Customs Working structure, is the overseeing body of the activities envisaged above.
The BRICS Model E-Port Network is an open mechanism established under CGETI. Participating bodies will be nominated by the members to join the network on a voluntary basis.
The Terms of Reference will be reviewed and modified upon the request of one or more members.
Source: Official website of the 2017 Xiamen Summit
[back to top]